Monday, January 11, 2010

Movies, award shows, whatnot...

So PCG has taken a little sabbatical, but I'm back! Hopefully Sister Itty Bitty will join in!

Lots of Pop Culturey things going on, well always, but esp the holiday season. You know, have to get people to buy this stuff and when will they buy it? JESUS'S BIRTHDAY!

So I bought tickets for the three shows I wanted to see the most and downloaded a few of the tunes I would like to listen to more than once, including a few Christmas tunes, and here are my thoughts.

Sherlock Holmes-this was the top of my holiday viewing list and it most definitely was all it was supposed to be! Mr Downey was incredible as was Jude Law. It was an updated, more spirited version of the classic, there was a little more action. My suggestion? Go see it. In theaters.

Avatar: Now like my friend SIB, I don't really like to buy into THE HYPE surrounding movies, such as AVATAR. (notice all caps, this is how it must be pronounced, just like TITANIC!) And James Cameron's latest spectacle was much like Titanic, not very subtle and pretty predictable. (what, you thought the boat might make it to NY? Wouldn't that be a cool alternate ending?) But, I bit the bullet and went to see it. In 3D no less. It was a pretty good flick. Very political and sort of hits you over the head with it's message, but worth seeing. In 3D. Think part Ferngully, part Pocahontas, part Star Trek. So if you liked any of these movies (Disney's Pocahontas not Brave World with Colin Ferrell and was a TERRIBLE movie), then you will enjoy Avatar. But probably not if blue people freak you out. or you like war. or you don't like nature. just FYI.

Nine: Well, being a music lover, I was excited for another "Musical by the makers of Chicago." I should not have been. It was ok. Not enough big singing and dance numbers for my taste. Perhaps I had too high expectations, but it was not my favorite new musical. The actors & actresses were good, the writing was ok. There was no plot until the last 20 min. Fergie's big dance/sing number was the best part of the flick and Marion C. was quite good, but overall, meh.

New song list will follow soon.

Stay Warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment